Film Sense Software
Powerful ellipsometry data analysis software that is easy to use
The Film Sense software acquires and analyzes the ellipsometric data, and reports the sample parameters (thickness, index of refraction, etc.) that are derived from the measurement. The Film Sense software runs on a computer which is inside the Detector unit, and a standard web browser provides the user interface for the software. Any desktop, laptop, or tablet computer that supports a modern web browser (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, Android) can operate the Film Sense ellipsometer using its Ethernet connection (no Internet or web access is required). A major advantage to the web browser interface is that no software installation is required, which greatly simplifies the setup and operation of Film Sense ellipsometers. (A Desktop version of the software is also available to support offline analysis.)
Ellipsometric data analysis can be difficult, especially for new users. Model Builder is a revolutionary new feature to automate the building and testing of analysis models.
Easy & intuitive to Use: Answer a few simple questions to specify the nominal sample structure (substrate and film type), and Model Builder will:
- Build & test multiple models, ranging from simple ideal models with book value optical constants, to non-ideal models with surface roughness and grading
- Advise if the model fit is acceptable, and recommend the “best” model for the sample
- Guide the user through checking the parameter errors, validating model convergence, and saving the model
- Self-documenting: hover the mouse for detailed descriptions of the various settings and options
- Implements advanced analysis features, such as Multi-Sample Analysis, and parameterized oscillator models
- Supports single point measurements, automated mapping, and dynamic (in situ) data
- Film Sense will continually evolve & improve Model Builder, to support more types of thin film applications
- Available now, in version 3.0 of the Film Sense software
Model Builder “Expert Advice”
Display parameter errors, and validate model convergence
Model Builder in Action
Switch between Analysis Model and Model Builder screens
Specify sample structure, and compare models
The Analysis Model screen provides powerful features to analyze and visualize the Film Sense ellipsometric data.
- Standard, In Situ Multi‐Layer, Multi‐Sample, Trajectory, and Near Surface data analysis modes.
- Up to 10 model layers, with optional surface roughness, and substrate backside correction.
- Parameter ranges and starting increments to improve fit parameter convergence.
- Bruggeman effective medium approximation for mixed materials, and graded index layers.
- Cauchy, Sellmeier, Lorentz, Drude, Tauc-Lorentz, and Multi-Osc dispersion models.
- Temperature or composition dependent optical constant library files.
- Depolarization or transmission intensity data can be combined with the multi‐wavelength data analysis.
- Simulate single measurement or dynamic data, and plot the Fit Diff vs. parameter value.
- Display fit parameter 90% confidence limits and correlation matrix, and estimate parameter accuracy.
The Single Measurement screen makes routine sample measurements as easy as clicking a button.
The Model Validator feature verifies that all model fit parameters will uniquely converge over the specified ranges.
The Film Sense Application Programming Interface (FS-API) can be used to control and communicate with the Film Sense Mulit-Wavelength Ellipsometers. At the low level, the FS-API communication link is implemented via TCP/IP sockets, and the command and data messages are exchanged in a simple binary format.